Saturday, October 13, 2012

Review: of Evil Ernie #1

Evil Ernie #1 from Dynamite Entertainment - As origin stories go, this one was serviceable but not remarkable. The plot was easy enough to follow and the writer does not insult the readers’ intelligence by over-explaining or filling in all the details, but he didn’t break any new ground either.

As far as the character of Ernie, I never read the original Chaos Comics series by Brian Pulido and Steven Hughes, but I know that his initial origin involved Lady Death who was also a Chaos character back then. Since she is currently owned by Boundless Comics, Jess Blaze Snider had to rework the story without her.

The opening sequence needed to be expanded a little, I would have liked to see more of a transition as the father was apparently possessed by a demon. I actually had to re-read that before I got it, and I’m usually pretty quick on the up-swing.

As for the art, though it was decent, I found it to be a little inconsistent at times. In some of the tight panels, I wasn’t entirely sure what I was looking at. And when some of the characters were shown from odd angles, I had a hard time telling them apart.

Overall Evil Ernie # 1 was a fast paced read that didn’t really sell me on a second look. 

Story & Art 5 stabs out of 10.

You can find Evil Ernie and all of Dynamite Entertainments great comic books at http://www.superherocomicbooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment