Friday, May 15, 2015

Review: The Ride: Southern Gothic #1

The Ride: Southern Gothic #1 - 12-Gauge Comics


The Ride: Southern Gothic has been sitting around for a while, when I first picked it up I thought it sounded cool and could not wait to read it, but for some reason I forgot about? When I went into the comic book shop, on one of my scouring the shelves for something new to read, I spotted The Ride: Southern Gothic again and light bulb, I remembered I had new stuff, sort of to read and I rushed off in excitement.

The Ride: Southern Gothic, released by 12-Gauge Press is probably one of the best anthologies I have read in quite some time. Ride contains three completely different stories, but each story centers around one hell of a cool car! Murder, mayhem and sex, yep it’s all in there folks! The Ride, drawn in black and white, sets the tone of each story and enhances the mood.

The first story, Perfect Circle, was somewhat violent; it starts at a swinger’s party, they pull a keychain and follow the owner of said keychain a, well you know what for, and soon are psycho killer, who murders the innocent woman gets his karmic payback and it involves that beloved Camaro!

The second short story, Money Shot, contains wanton sex, a man who robbed a crime boss and the woman who picked him up alongside the road. This one has a great ending!

Lastly the third story, Paid in Full part one. When a Dixie Mafia boss decides that, a man’s girlfriend will be sufficient payment for his debt things heat up! Paid in Full was my favorite out of the three!


I highly recommend The Ride: Southern Gothic to our older readers, definitely not for kids and maybe not woman, although I loved it. The Ride is reminiscent of Grindhouse Comics, but with hillbillies, guns, mullets and ho’s. If your looking for some guilty pleasure, pick up a copy of The Ride its a great read and a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment