Sunday, June 28, 2015

Review: Starve # 1

Starve #1 - Image Comics


Image Comics release of Starve #1 had me in quandary, the title sounded interesting enough and I could not imagine where this story would go, would it be twisted tale of horror or a story of people who were starved for god knows what reason?  What I found was not what I was thinking, it was a lot better! Starve is a well-written, intriguing story that is going to get really messy.

Starve starts off somewhere in South Asia and our main man here, Gavin Cruikshank, is celebrating winning a kickboxing event, when he is approached for an autograph and a whole lot more.

It seems Gavin is the star of a reality cooking show called Starve, the number one show world-wide, watched by everyone from the poor to the very wealthy. After leaving his show for a walkabout, the popular Starve fell into the hands of a rival chef; and his money and possessions in the hands of a bitter wife.

A representative from the network shows up in Asia and demands that Cruikshank return to the States to fulfill his television contract. As soon as the chef returns and realizes what he's left behind is worth fighting for, he must crawl his way back through the mess he'd made to take back what is his.
Can a reality television show chef that has to prove he’s alive and complete an entire season of his own show make it? Find out in Starve #1

Brain Wood is the writer and Danijel ZeZelj along with David Stewart are the artists. Woods writing is right on target and the artwork supports Wood’s story. Starve is a great story and left me wanting to go out and grab issue two, well as soon as it’s released.

As always you can find the latest issue of Starve at White Dragon Comics.

 - Barbie66

1 comment:

  1. I read a 5 or 6 page preview included in an Image sampler, and this sure looks like a promising title. By the way, I just read your post about The Autumnlands: Tooth & Claw and it was great. You seem to be a bit of an expert in Kurt Busiek. Anyway, I also wrote about Busiek's series in my blog (wich I encourage you to visit):

    www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

    I hope you enjoy my review, and please feel free to leave me a comment over there or add yourself as a follower (or both), and I promise I'll reciprocate.

    Cheers,

    Arion.

    ReplyDelete