Saturday, December 30, 2017

G.I. Joe Great Comics!



War is Hell, and one of the best description of war comes in a popular comic book, G.I. Joe! G.I. Joe comics have been around since the 1940’s and were first introduced by Marvel Comics. Marvel Comics was the first publisher of G.I. Joe comics, followed by two other publishers, Devils Due and IDW.  Devils Due was the second publisher of J.I. Joe comics with two series and the fourth series comes from IDW Comics, which is still publishing the trendy comic book. There were a few other publishers of G.I. Joe comics, but these were mini-series and one-shots that usually ran six issues or less.

So, what makes G.I. Joe comics so cool to read, and lasting so long in the comic book realm? Most of the credit goes to writer Larry Hama, when G.I. Joe was re-released in the early nineteen-eighties it had help from Hasbro. Hasbro in conjunction with comic, used their toy-line and commercials to promote the comic book. In my opinion, it was Larry Hama’s writing that skyrocketed the popularity of the comic!

Hama was smart, instead of multiple villains Joe’s fought bad boys from Cobra in almost every issue. Hama depicted the popular Joe team using real-life weapons, not futuristic weapons. Also, the characters would often suffer injuries sustained during a war and some of the popular characters would succumb to death, like real soldiers fighting a war! G.I. Joe comics written by Hama gave readers a true-to-life depiction of war.

While war-stories might not be your thing, you should give G.I. Joe a read, the comic is well written, great stories and art-work. And, if you are a fan of war-stories, then this is the comic book you should be reading!

Barbie1966

No comments:

Post a Comment