Saturday, October 13, 2012

Review: of Evil Ernie #1

Evil Ernie #1 from Dynamite EntertainmentAs origin stories go, this one was serviceable but not remarkable. The plot was easy enough to follow and the writer does not insult the readers’ intelligence by over-explaining or filling in all the details, but he didn’t break any new ground either.

As far as the character of Ernie, I never read the original Chaos Comics series by Brian Pulido and Steven Hughes, but I know that his initial origin involved Lady Death who was also a Chaos character back then. Since she is currently owned by Boundless Comics, Jess Blaze Snider had to rework the story without her.

The opening sequence needed to be expanded a little, I would have liked to see more of a transition as the father was apparently possessed by a demon. I actually had to re-read that before I got it, and I’m usually pretty quick on the up-swing.

As for the art, though it was decent, I found it to be a little inconsistent at times. In some of the tight panels, I wasn’t entirely sure what I was looking at. And when some of the characters were shown from odd angles, I had a hard time telling them apart.

Overall Evil Ernie # 1 was a fast paced read that didn’t really sell me on a second look. 

Story & Art 5 stabs out of 10.

You can find Evil Ernie and all of Dynamite Entertainments great comic books at http://www.superherocomicbooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment