Sunday, October 21, 2012

Series Review: Unwritten


Unwritten DC Vertigo – What can I say about this series that hasn’t already been said by writers much more talented than I am. 

Brian K. Vaughn, author of Y: The Last Man said it was “A wish-I’d-thought-of-it premise...”, and that “Mike Carey and Peter Gross are doing the very best work of their lives.”

Ed Brubaker, writer on Captain America and Winter Soldier and creator of Fatale said that it “…makes me jealous.”

Eisner Award winning author Bill Willingham said, “ by the first page… I was intrigued…by page 3, I knew I’d be finishing the issue. Two pages later I knew I would be a fan and loyal reader…”

That is high praise to earn from one’s peers, and it is well deserved.

Carey and Gross have crafted a tale that turns history on its ear, exposing a conspiracy that has existed for millennia; one that has managed to control the world by controlling how people perceive it.

But Unwritten is much more than that.

It is a treatise on the power of stories and the collective beliefs they engender.

Its an adventure story about a boy wizard who overcomes incredible odds to survive a secret society's attempt to discredit, then kill him.

Its an allegory about what can be accomplished with the strength of belief.

It’s a chronicle of great men and moments of literature as seen through the eyes of one man.

Unwritten embraces the future of writing while paying homage to its past. If you are a writer, a reader or just some one who enjoys having their way of thinking prodded repeatedly, “Unwritten” is the book for you.

You can find all of DC's comics at http://www.superherocomicbooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment